Sunday, March 11, 2007

inspired...

5 months ago I was asked to coach a 7th grade girls' basketball team.

Feeling somewhat unsure of my coaching ability, and a bit intimidated of leading a group of hormonal teenage girls, I felt the Lord gently pushing me toward this opportunity. In an act of obedience and curiosity, I said yes. I felt ready for a new and unique challenge in my life, and this definitely fit that description.

From that point on, every Monday and Thursday night and most weekends from November through March were consumed with ipods, girltalk, gatorade, braiding hair, cell phones, bruised knees, smelly uniforms, boyfriends, break-ups, pre-wrap, walking tacos, chocolate chip cookies, rolled ankles, sleep-overs, packs upon packs of gum, laughter, nicknames, rolling eyes...and oh yea, some basketball too :)

As the weeks passed, I became more inspired by the game of basketball than ever before.

With every suicide ran hard, each box-out that produced a rebound, and every sacrificial dive on the floor, I was inspired.

When the game came down to the wire (which it often did with our team), I was inspired by the white jerseys that walked off the court…whether they had won or lost.

With every shot-fake, jab-step, or drop-step used in a game, I was inspired.

With every sweet pass, defensive stop, and made free-throw, I was inspired.

With every cheer from the bench, high-five, with every “Packers on 3,” I was inspired.

What I’m realizing as I sit and reflect on the end of my first season of coaching, is that I wasn’t so much inspired by the game of basketball these past 5 months…

I was inspired by a group of phenomenal young women.

I was inspired by Jenna, Grace, Lauren, Marisa, Lizzie, Dana, Justyne, Allison, Sydney, and Kayla.

I cannot adequately express how very proud I am to have been their coach this season. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to know them, teach them, and learn from them. And though the season is over, I will continue to be inspired by these girls each and everyday.

5 Comments:

Blogger gretchen said...

That's awesome. They were blessed to have such a great coach that I am sure they were inspired by, too.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Great job coach!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just described why I love coaching. There isn't anything quite like it! Could this be a career option?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

oooo...he said it. he threw out the career word... :)

i am inspired by YOU. and so PROUD of you- and all your hard work, dedication, and love of those little women.

i must say, i am glad to have my roommate back... :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

and i'm done-- time for a new post!!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home