Christmas in my mouth
I went to bed last night with visions of sugarplums and snowflakes dancing in my head. After falling asleep, I dreamt of Will Farrell, Tim Allen, and McCully Culkin. This morning, my eyes were filled with red, floating sparkles when I awoke. My toothpaste brought a taste of distant familiarity that I hadn’t thought of since probably last January. Taking one, last glance in the mirror, I noticed my blush held a more distinct shade of pink with a jolly, vibrant shine as the dim hallway light caught its reflection.
My friends, this can only mean one thing. The re-introduction to a seasonal wonder: “Winter Phase I” at one of my top ten favorite places: Starbucks!
Want to awaken those taste buds and send them into a flurry of holiday pleasure? Try a Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte...or my all-time favorite, Peppermint Mocha (better known to me as, "Christmas in my mouth").
I could hardly contain myself this morning as I watched Kevin, at the First Avenue Starbucks, create my very own masterpiece in the newly designed holiday cup. Adorned in scarlet bliss with emerald trim, the 2006 holiday cup is very appealing to the eye. The white silhouettes that enfold the bottom depict familiar holiday scenes such as Christmas shopping, lovers courting on a park bench, children running in the snow, and friends waving hello as they stroll through the winter scene embraced by a snow-covered floor at their feet.
As Kevin gently poured my three shots of espresso, and stirred in the steamed milk, chocolate, and peppermint syrup, I eagerly awaited my favorite part…he shook the bottle of whip cream, and swirled it around the rim of the cup. Now, we were on the verge of completing this masterpiece with the final bit of Christmas it was missing…the red sprinkles!!! With each finger tap of the bottle, tiny red ornaments covered the white fluff brimming over my cup. This work of art was complete.
Kevin slid the sleeve on, placed the drink on the counter, and declared:
“Non-fat, Grande, 2-pump peppermint, 2-pump mocha w/ whip…AND sprinkles.”
Suppressing my excitement, I stepped up, proclaimed my “Christmas in my mouth,” and strolled contently out of the store, across First Ave, and back to my cubical to enjoy the pleasure I held in my hand.
As I write, I am sipping my first Peppermint Mocha of the season…and it is delicious. Here’s one suggestion I’ve learned from my Coffee Master roommate: if “foo foo” drinks are sometimes just a little too sweet for you, ask your favorite Barista to put 1 or 2 less pumps of syrup in your drink. For instance, Venti’s normally have 5 pumps, Grande’s have 4, and Tall’s have 3…I usually knock 2 pumps off each to bring out the coffee flavor more and tone down the sweetness…do what feels right to you, so that you, too, can experience the personal peppermint perfection that I have this morning.
Christmas is here, my friends. Soon the snow will fall; Home Alone I, II, and III will be on TBS at least twice a day; trees will be up and decorated; nativity sets in place; shops will be packed with gift-buying chaos…but for today, let us enjoy the tradition that begins it all.
As you delve into the world of holiday beverage heaven, please share your experiences and feedback with me! I'd love to hear them!
My friends, this can only mean one thing. The re-introduction to a seasonal wonder: “Winter Phase I” at one of my top ten favorite places: Starbucks!
Want to awaken those taste buds and send them into a flurry of holiday pleasure? Try a Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte...or my all-time favorite, Peppermint Mocha (better known to me as, "Christmas in my mouth").
I could hardly contain myself this morning as I watched Kevin, at the First Avenue Starbucks, create my very own masterpiece in the newly designed holiday cup. Adorned in scarlet bliss with emerald trim, the 2006 holiday cup is very appealing to the eye. The white silhouettes that enfold the bottom depict familiar holiday scenes such as Christmas shopping, lovers courting on a park bench, children running in the snow, and friends waving hello as they stroll through the winter scene embraced by a snow-covered floor at their feet.
As Kevin gently poured my three shots of espresso, and stirred in the steamed milk, chocolate, and peppermint syrup, I eagerly awaited my favorite part…he shook the bottle of whip cream, and swirled it around the rim of the cup. Now, we were on the verge of completing this masterpiece with the final bit of Christmas it was missing…the red sprinkles!!! With each finger tap of the bottle, tiny red ornaments covered the white fluff brimming over my cup. This work of art was complete.
Kevin slid the sleeve on, placed the drink on the counter, and declared:
“Non-fat, Grande, 2-pump peppermint, 2-pump mocha w/ whip…AND sprinkles.”
Suppressing my excitement, I stepped up, proclaimed my “Christmas in my mouth,” and strolled contently out of the store, across First Ave, and back to my cubical to enjoy the pleasure I held in my hand.
As I write, I am sipping my first Peppermint Mocha of the season…and it is delicious. Here’s one suggestion I’ve learned from my Coffee Master roommate: if “foo foo” drinks are sometimes just a little too sweet for you, ask your favorite Barista to put 1 or 2 less pumps of syrup in your drink. For instance, Venti’s normally have 5 pumps, Grande’s have 4, and Tall’s have 3…I usually knock 2 pumps off each to bring out the coffee flavor more and tone down the sweetness…do what feels right to you, so that you, too, can experience the personal peppermint perfection that I have this morning.
Christmas is here, my friends. Soon the snow will fall; Home Alone I, II, and III will be on TBS at least twice a day; trees will be up and decorated; nativity sets in place; shops will be packed with gift-buying chaos…but for today, let us enjoy the tradition that begins it all.
As you delve into the world of holiday beverage heaven, please share your experiences and feedback with me! I'd love to hear them!


10 Comments:
...this is a repost of a comment i posted two days ago on someone elses blog....
Ok - does anyone remember that crazy little holiday we have in two weeks??!!! it's called Thanksgiving?? Why does it always get the shaft? Why doesn't anyone care about? You all just use Thanksgiving like a piece of toilet paper - it serves it's purpose (you get a day or two off of work) and then who cares. What happened to corn and pumpking pie and dinner rolls and turkey and stuffing and thursday afternoon football and turkey naps??!!!!! I don't wanna see a red starbucks cup until the turkey has been digested!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh swzy!! i feel the JOY. i feel the LOVE. i feel CHRISTMAS AT STARBUCKS!! ahhh...it HAS arrived and i can hardly wait to set foot in my store tomorrow at 6:28 am. mmm...and i will certainly be "surprised and delighted" right along with you. oh what WOULD we do without our christmas at bux??
p.s. shout out to kevin!!
p.s.s. and it's actually a GRANDE, 2 pump peppermint, 2 pump mocha, nonfat with whip, mocha. you're living with a master, could you PLEASE get it right?
i KNEW i wouldn't score 100% on that quiz...ahhh, the things you learn living w/ a Master! :)
oh...and Eric: I do not need a day set aside to remind me to be thankful for the Blessings God has given me...therefore, I skip over that holiday (w/ the exception of the football), and focus my eyes on the birth of my Savior. Holler.
Here I sit enjoying my special treat of the week, as I'm still on my Slim Fast diet - a tall, non-fat peppermint mocha. Oh, what bliss! I love peppermint, and wish Starbucks would serve it year-round!
Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year - peppermint mocha's are here!
Chuck!!! I'm so glad you understand! Enjoy your peppermint perfection! Holler.
that's nice .... real nice ... i'm sure you don't care at all about the Thanksgiving it is to be in a free country.... or the history that's wrapped up in the holiday. Maybe you don't care about the people who first came to this land and the hard times they had in order that we could be here today? Maybe you just aren't concerned about having a time set aside where we can be thankful for one another. Granted, I can be thankful everday - but i can also celebrate the birth of my savior everyday. So why not be respectful and savor the times we have set aside. Give them their due credit.
umm..ok, not really sure how we got to this pt?? initially, it seemed as though the holiday of Thanksgiving was about "corn and pumpking pie and dinner rolls and turkey and stuffing and thursday afternoon football and turkey naps??!!!!!" to you. Now we're talkin bonnets and funny shoes. I have no problem commemorating the feast held in 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag (Native American Tribe that ate dinner with the Pilgrims). You should've said that in the first place. Boog and I will be sure to go shopping for the latest in Colonial fashion, and adorn ourselves with Puritan Aprons and Mop Hats on Thanksgiving Day.
here's a hint:
you CAN get peppermint mochas all year round!!!
yes, you can...but it takes the true pleasure and fulfillment out of the entire experience!!! pick another fav for the remaining 10 months...for me, it's a grande 2 pump caramel, 2 pump mocha, nonfat w/ whip...do what you need to do. peppermint mochas won't be true Christmas in your mouth if you're sipping them in July. holler.
Post a Comment
<< Home