just call me "relig"
A fellow sister in Christ asked me today, "is there anything about organized religion that doesn't coincide with your own beliefs?"
Well, it depends on whose definition I'm going by. Personally, I don't like the label "religion" at all. I think it takes all intimacy out of the relationship with Jesus. To many people, religion means scripted prayers, organ hymnals, baptism at birth, Sunday mornings and holidays, and listening to a Pastor/Priest tell you what you should think about God/how you should live your life, etc.
A relationship implies, everyday conversation, questions, answers, struggles, triumphs, embraces, laughter, tears...all of these things shared with Jesus Christ on a moment to moment basis. It means praying about what you should think about God, letting Him reveal Himself to you and taking initiative to learn about our God...asking HIM how you should live your life...and discovering more and more of His purpose for your life, as you walk hand in hand with Jesus.
Instead of "organized religion," I believe in the Church. But by church, I mean an assembly of believers who have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, and in fellowship and love are sharing their journey of eternal life (which starts now) together. That could be me and you having coffee at S to the Bux...it could be Sunday night group...it could be Abs and I yelling from one room to another about how our day was...or a long-distance conversation with a sister in Christ who lives in Michigan. It's just "doing life together," while walking with the Lord. (I'll totally give credit where credit is due...these thoughts were introduced to me by Jamie and the Consumed Posse...and I am eternally grateful for the enlightened perspective they've given me).
When you place a label on something, it tends to lose its significance and true identity. There is a cold irrelevance rendered to a title with no description. However, when meaning is established within a label, this changes.
For instance, my co-worker (in good-humor) calls me, "Relig" as a nickname from time to time. I don't mind this label or nickname, and I'll tell you why...my co-worker knows the depth of my faith. He may not have a relationship with Christ, but he realizes that I do, even if he doesn't completely grasp all that encompasses. He observes my "Relig" qualities by the way that I live my daily life in the office; through the music that's playing at my desk, or in my car when I give him rides home on occasion; through reports of my weekend and evening activities that tell of the groups I'm a part of, the places I serve, and the friends I keep close; through my thug handshake that concludes with a sincere holler at JC. In this case, “Relig” has meaning…a definition that I am comfortable with because I know to my co-worker, it represents my love and devotion to Jesus.
My point is, labels can be dangerous and they can misrepresent us if we're not careful with the definition that we give them. But when a label is attached to a meaning, identity, and significance...it then has the power to make a difference in people's lives.
As a marketing major, I think of branding. Companies and products spend years defining their brand. Through developing mission statements, establishing a vision, and creating a brand image, they (if successful) build a brand that represents their beliefs, values, attributes, and goals all by the product name and logo.
We, too, must brand our own identity as Christians. Through praying about the mission God has created us for, we are slowly establishing the Lord’s vision for us in our everyday lives. As we fulfill His purpose and look to Him to define our brand, we will be identified by the Lord’s beliefs, values, attributes, and goals. Once we establish HIM as definition of our brand, no other label will matter.
Well, it depends on whose definition I'm going by. Personally, I don't like the label "religion" at all. I think it takes all intimacy out of the relationship with Jesus. To many people, religion means scripted prayers, organ hymnals, baptism at birth, Sunday mornings and holidays, and listening to a Pastor/Priest tell you what you should think about God/how you should live your life, etc.
A relationship implies, everyday conversation, questions, answers, struggles, triumphs, embraces, laughter, tears...all of these things shared with Jesus Christ on a moment to moment basis. It means praying about what you should think about God, letting Him reveal Himself to you and taking initiative to learn about our God...asking HIM how you should live your life...and discovering more and more of His purpose for your life, as you walk hand in hand with Jesus.
Instead of "organized religion," I believe in the Church. But by church, I mean an assembly of believers who have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, and in fellowship and love are sharing their journey of eternal life (which starts now) together. That could be me and you having coffee at S to the Bux...it could be Sunday night group...it could be Abs and I yelling from one room to another about how our day was...or a long-distance conversation with a sister in Christ who lives in Michigan. It's just "doing life together," while walking with the Lord. (I'll totally give credit where credit is due...these thoughts were introduced to me by Jamie and the Consumed Posse...and I am eternally grateful for the enlightened perspective they've given me).
When you place a label on something, it tends to lose its significance and true identity. There is a cold irrelevance rendered to a title with no description. However, when meaning is established within a label, this changes.
For instance, my co-worker (in good-humor) calls me, "Relig" as a nickname from time to time. I don't mind this label or nickname, and I'll tell you why...my co-worker knows the depth of my faith. He may not have a relationship with Christ, but he realizes that I do, even if he doesn't completely grasp all that encompasses. He observes my "Relig" qualities by the way that I live my daily life in the office; through the music that's playing at my desk, or in my car when I give him rides home on occasion; through reports of my weekend and evening activities that tell of the groups I'm a part of, the places I serve, and the friends I keep close; through my thug handshake that concludes with a sincere holler at JC. In this case, “Relig” has meaning…a definition that I am comfortable with because I know to my co-worker, it represents my love and devotion to Jesus.
My point is, labels can be dangerous and they can misrepresent us if we're not careful with the definition that we give them. But when a label is attached to a meaning, identity, and significance...it then has the power to make a difference in people's lives.
As a marketing major, I think of branding. Companies and products spend years defining their brand. Through developing mission statements, establishing a vision, and creating a brand image, they (if successful) build a brand that represents their beliefs, values, attributes, and goals all by the product name and logo.
We, too, must brand our own identity as Christians. Through praying about the mission God has created us for, we are slowly establishing the Lord’s vision for us in our everyday lives. As we fulfill His purpose and look to Him to define our brand, we will be identified by the Lord’s beliefs, values, attributes, and goals. Once we establish HIM as definition of our brand, no other label will matter.


7 Comments:
Love the Father and love His people, through a personal relationship with Him and by investing in the lives of others -- there's got to be a logo/brand in there somewhere!
It is awesome to read of all you are learning and seeing that God is speaking to you in your life where you are at
my favorite church is when we're yelling from room to room. thanks for not disclosing my typical whereabouts. HA!
i, too, have had conversation with co-workers about "church" and "church-hunting". just today, in fact. i wish so badly that i had a "place" to bring them to, though.
i do not believe that church is a service, or a buiding, it IS the people...but WHERE can i BRING non-believers when they ARE searching for a group of people to connect with...to do church with?
no one seems to have any answers for that.
3012 W. 88th St. or 8146 W. 109th St. Circle to answer the WHERE question from Abs. I'm not picking on you Abs (Ok, maybe a little), but if you really believe the church IS people, then why not bring them to a place where the church IS and an environment where they can interact with the church (people)? We won't bite them, I promise! If your heart for them is to connect with the church, bring them into a home where they can talk, share a meal with, and connect with people. My deal is this...we (including me) have been saying "un-churched" people would not feel comfortable at our weekly gatherings, but how do we know unless someone brings them?
swzy and i actually HAD this discussion. i have some fears and reservations about bringing people to either group right now...i feel like things are a bit unsteady and i don't want to get them ("outside friends") excited about anything that is gonna fall through...plus, you're right...my brain is warped from all this "they wouldn't wanna come to something like this" talk that's been going on. i actually think they might come. i am making my moves very cafefully...
Abs - you and your moves. :)
What do you mean by "fall through?" We will go nowhere if we are afraid to fail.
Post a Comment
<< Home