i, like, love middle-schoolers!
As I’ve expressed to many of you in the last month or so, God has recently brought some interesting challenges…opportunities into my life.
Most who know me know I’m not the biggest kid person. I don’t dislike them…they’re God’s children! And most of them are pretty cute, or at least have cute moments. I just don’t really know what to do with them. I don’t like playing games. I don’t like watching cartoons. I’m not really a fan of barbies or videogames. I don’t have an active imagination. I feel like the above list really limits my interaction with children. In addition, most of them are pretty high-maintenance. You can’t just chill on the couch and watch a football game, ya know.
With that being said, in the last 2 months God has made me a 6th grade confirmation teacher and a 7th grade basketball coach. He could’ve given me a job in the nursery or Sunday School and it would’ve made more sense! Middle-schoolers!?
This is the age group that forgets how to speak or communicate like a human being when an adult asks a question or offers guidance. Then you turn your back and they’re chattin’ it up with their girls, using the word “like” WAY too much and shrieking with ear-popping excitement at the sight of a cute boy or another girlfriend who just entered the room whom they haven’t seen since second period that day.
This is the group that chomps their gum so loud I could swear there must be a cow in the corner of the room chewing violently on its cud. That cries about having SO much going on in their little lives, they don’t have 2 minutes to open their Bible and read 1 verse! A group who is so UNSURE of themselves, that their overcompensated cockiness overflows with every sarcastic comment that spews from their braces-filled mouths!
And after venting about all the little quarks and irritating characteristics of the middle-schoolers I spend 3 nights a week with (and many of my future weekends, as well)…I must humbly admit that I have begun to fall in love with this awkward group of 12 and 13-year-olds.
I could not have predicted a statement like that coming from my thoughts, but it has. I have had the most enjoyable week sharing my passion for basketball with a group of 7th grade girls, and sharing my love for God with seven 6th graders who have never known a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Now I know the challenges these kids present me with will not stop in the coming months. And they will keep chomping their gum, giving me the silent treatment, and screaming over silly things. BUT, my eyes are being opened to the beauty of these children’s souls and minds. And I am SO thankful to have the opportunity to know them, teach them, and learn from them.
Once again, God proves to know me better than I know myself. Sometimes He leads us into unfamiliar territory, reveals uncertainty in our hearts and forces us to put our trust in Him. That obedience can provide us with intangible rewards that we would never dream possible.
Father, I pray your hand be upon these 21 children you have placed in my life. I ask that your spirit find its way into their souls and your love fill their hearts as they endure a very difficult era of their lives. Middle-school isn’t easy, and I know they’re all going through so much in their life that stretches far beyond the basketball court and confirmation classroom. Help them see that you are there with them each moment, and that truly walking with YOU will get them through! Bless my time with them, and help me be a living example of your grace, love, and gentleness. Let my faith in you be a positive light in these children’s lives.
Thank you, Jesus…for middle-schoolers!
Most who know me know I’m not the biggest kid person. I don’t dislike them…they’re God’s children! And most of them are pretty cute, or at least have cute moments. I just don’t really know what to do with them. I don’t like playing games. I don’t like watching cartoons. I’m not really a fan of barbies or videogames. I don’t have an active imagination. I feel like the above list really limits my interaction with children. In addition, most of them are pretty high-maintenance. You can’t just chill on the couch and watch a football game, ya know.
With that being said, in the last 2 months God has made me a 6th grade confirmation teacher and a 7th grade basketball coach. He could’ve given me a job in the nursery or Sunday School and it would’ve made more sense! Middle-schoolers!?
This is the age group that forgets how to speak or communicate like a human being when an adult asks a question or offers guidance. Then you turn your back and they’re chattin’ it up with their girls, using the word “like” WAY too much and shrieking with ear-popping excitement at the sight of a cute boy or another girlfriend who just entered the room whom they haven’t seen since second period that day.
This is the group that chomps their gum so loud I could swear there must be a cow in the corner of the room chewing violently on its cud. That cries about having SO much going on in their little lives, they don’t have 2 minutes to open their Bible and read 1 verse! A group who is so UNSURE of themselves, that their overcompensated cockiness overflows with every sarcastic comment that spews from their braces-filled mouths!
And after venting about all the little quarks and irritating characteristics of the middle-schoolers I spend 3 nights a week with (and many of my future weekends, as well)…I must humbly admit that I have begun to fall in love with this awkward group of 12 and 13-year-olds.
I could not have predicted a statement like that coming from my thoughts, but it has. I have had the most enjoyable week sharing my passion for basketball with a group of 7th grade girls, and sharing my love for God with seven 6th graders who have never known a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Now I know the challenges these kids present me with will not stop in the coming months. And they will keep chomping their gum, giving me the silent treatment, and screaming over silly things. BUT, my eyes are being opened to the beauty of these children’s souls and minds. And I am SO thankful to have the opportunity to know them, teach them, and learn from them.
Once again, God proves to know me better than I know myself. Sometimes He leads us into unfamiliar territory, reveals uncertainty in our hearts and forces us to put our trust in Him. That obedience can provide us with intangible rewards that we would never dream possible.
Father, I pray your hand be upon these 21 children you have placed in my life. I ask that your spirit find its way into their souls and your love fill their hearts as they endure a very difficult era of their lives. Middle-school isn’t easy, and I know they’re all going through so much in their life that stretches far beyond the basketball court and confirmation classroom. Help them see that you are there with them each moment, and that truly walking with YOU will get them through! Bless my time with them, and help me be a living example of your grace, love, and gentleness. Let my faith in you be a positive light in these children’s lives.
Thank you, Jesus…for middle-schoolers!


4 Comments:
I'm glad to hear that things are going better than you thought they would. Middle-schoolers can be very difficult, but they too need to experience the love of God.
I'm right behind you Chuck in every blog!
Anyway, what an amazing opportunity you have Nicole! I can relate to your feelings regarding middle schoolers. I went from being an assistant coach at the college level to coaching 8th grade girls last year. That season (coaching those 8th graders) became the most enjoyable time of coaching I ever had. They will never forget you!
how was the tournament yesterday? we missed you in our community....but I am glad you got to do something you love.
What a great entry Smith!!!!!
I laughed in the first chunk about you not knowing what to do w/ kids! And the ending was great! Yay!
Post a Comment
<< Home