Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy National Girls and Women in Sport Day



This is a big week for girls and women across the country. Whether you're a man or a woman, an athelete or not...you or someone you love has been influenced by Title IX, and therefore should actively recognize and celebrate National Girls and Women in Sport Day (February 6).

I have attended several events this week where women and men of all ages have gathered to recognize and award those who have paved the way for girls and women to participate in sports.

The Minnesota Lynx put on an event called Slam Bash just last night at International Market Square in Minneapolis. Over 300 guests spent the evening recognizing 5 honorees from the state, listening to another 5 women's basketball past and future hall of famers discuss where we've been and where we're going, and celebrated not only the fast-approaching Minnesota Lynx 10th Anniversary Season...but steps we've taken as a human race to further gender equality on the field and on the court.

This was a much-deserved celebration of a great cause. But there is so much more work left to do. As Nancy Lieberman noted during the panel discussion, "10 years of a women's professional sport is remarkable...we shouldn't and can't take anything away from the people and the League that have made this happen. But, we also cannot be content. I, for one, will not be satisfied until the women who follow my generation sit on a stage like this 100 years from now, continuing the celebration of this League and many others that it will inevitably open the door for."

This entire week I have wondered how my life would be different without Title IX. I can't remember a time in my life when my thoughts, words and actions throughout a day haven't revolved primarily around a sport I have played, coached, watched or worked for. Sport has absolutely shaped the person I am. It gives me passion and purpose. It inspires me, and allows me opportunity to inspire.

But without Title IX, I would still be fighting for the right to play. Due to the efforts of those before me, I've never had to wonder if my school or city will support a girls' basketball team. In fact, since I was 15 years old, I could realistically dream about playing professional basketball in front of my family and friends in the United States of America.

And so, today I want to reflect on the pioneers who came before me. Those, such as my great-grandmother and grandmother who fought to be athletes before Title IX was passed (Praise Jesus they lived in Iowa where women's basketball was bigger than men's...even despite the bloomers!) Those, such as my mother, who played high school sports at the cusp of Title IX legislation being passed. And those who now come after. Those who are just picking up a ball for the first time...in a different gym every weekend, playing 3 games a day...stepping on a varsity court each Friday night...living out their childhood dream of playing college basketball...preparing to hear their name read at the draft on April 9, 2008.

May none of us ever, ever forget the pioneers who fought, played and claimed the present victories we all enjoy today. May we never take these victories for granted. And may the current generation keep fighting and playing with an unending vision of the many more victories yet to come.

5 Comments:

Blogger gretchen said...

well said...kudos, of course, to Iowa--even when I played the women's sports were bigger than the men's (sad commentary on Iowa men).

8:45 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Unfortunately, baseball (my sport) has a long ways to go still. They did have Ila Borders pitch for the Saints back in the 1990's, but there hasn't been much opportunity since then for females. Other than softball, there is no female equivalent to MLB.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

title 9? what the heck is that?? heehee...and now i know!! ;)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

what a beautiful entry!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Dan, Heather, and Bjorn said...

At first I was like, Yes! A basketball martini! Then I started to think about how big that glass would have to be to fit two basketballs into it. That is like the martini of instant blood alcohol poisening! I still think it's cool though :) I also have been so encouraged to get to see more of you lately. That makes me so happy...now I just have to find a way to fight through the crowds and catch up with you.
-Dan

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home