Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I can't get no satisfaction...

True happiness. Utter contentment. 100% satisfaction.

These concepts have been on my mind a lot lately, mostly in asking the question, "do these feelings even exist?"

I have had a pretty good life. Never had to wonder where my next meal was coming from, if I had a place to lay my head at night, if people loved me. God has always graciously fulfilled my needs. Yet, when I think about this concept of happiness, contentment, satisfaction...I'm not sure I have ever fully felt these things in their truest definitions.

In a conversation with a friend last week, and then again today with my boss, we discussed this question. What is it inside of me, and others, that drives them to never be quite satisfied with the achievements or successes of today? My boss, having a very similar mindset and personality as me, could not articulate a response to this question either. It's not passion, it's not craziness as some people in my life have asserted. It's a driving force in the very depths of people that influences high levels of performance and productivity; yet even when these levels are reached, there is no time or reason for celebration, only a moment to move the bar higher and continue on.

This very thing was demonstrated tonight by Michael Phelps. On the verge of winning his fourth gold medal of these Olympics, he was also about to set his fourth consecutive world record in these races. As he touched the wall, the commentators praised another superman performance, yet Michael stared at the scoreboard unsatisfied. He had just won his fourth gold medal and set his fourth world record of these games, but showed no positive emotion or celebration. The commentators shared that he had not met his personal goal for this particular race, which was about a second faster than what he got.

The co-worker I was watching with joked, "the gold and the WR aren't enough...he needed to smash his opponents, and smash the world record, jeesh."

It was clear my co-worker was right. The best simply wasn't good enough for Phelps. Even after out-performing everyone around him, in his mind he hadn't out-performed his biggest opponent in the pool...himself. It made me wonder: will Phelps ever feel he is good enough. Will he ever win enough gold or set enough records to be satisfied, proud and happy with what he has accomplished?

And then I ask the same questions about myself. Can I ever be satisfied? Will I ever walk away from achievement feeling like something has really been achieved? Will I ever possess the power to push aside self-pride, selfishness, arrogance, and lift my eyes to what really matters?

Psalm 17:14 says:
O LORD, by your hand save me from such men,
from men of this world whose reward is in this life.
You still the hunger of those you cherish;
their sons have plenty,
and they store up wealth for their children.

This is my cry and it is my true desire; that Christ would save me from the temptation of earthly successes that last for but a moment, only to be immediately replaced with new lofty goals; that my reward would be found in him each morning I wake instead of searching desperately for it all day long to no avail; that he would still my hunger...my indescribable hunger for more, more, more.

I do believe true satisfaction is possible. Though this hunger has always gotten in the way of me experiencing it, my desire to find it is affirmed in Psalm 17:15 that says, "And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness." True satisfaction lies in him. In seeing his face. In being held in his arms. In knowing that even when the world isn't satisfied by my performance, he is.

I desire for all of us to get to that place. I know I'm not there yet. But I finally believe it exists.

5 Comments:

Blogger gretchen said...

Wow...that is so true. Thanks for your honesty--that is such a challenge to not let this life make us feel so empty.

p.s. I saw Phelps later say that right from when he went in the pool his goggles were filling with water--what the heck?!?!?

8:16 AM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

ah...well said, my friend, well said. i had the SAME thoughts about mikey...i also saw him talk about his goggles filling with water. sidenote: if he's that good blind, he truly is the best in the world. i wonder if he's single.... :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger the way I see it... said...

yea..i heard about the goggles this morning. sorta ruins my illustration, but oh well. and no doubt...i think he is single. they did a story on him in his hometown and the only girl they showed him with was his little bulldog.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

way to notice that Nicole. And way to be a good friend and let Abby know. :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

he loves his dog. ish. that's a big, fat, AND I'M DONE for mikey.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home