Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lazy-boy Living

KLOVE = NO LOVE
I was listening to KLOVE last night. In between songs the DJ gave an editorial about a specific part of the Oscars from the night before. While she has the right to express her own opinion, I wasn’t a big fan of the way in which she did it.

Sean Penn won the Oscar for Actor of the Year on Sunday night for his role as gay rights activist Harvey Milk in the film Milk. While I did not see the film or know a whole lot about the story of Harvey Milk, to me, it was what it was: an award given to an actor who did well in a movie. I understand the political platform this film stood on, and I listened to Penn’s acceptance speech, but I certainly did not lose sleep, get offended or take any of his statements personally.

This DJ did. Big time.

To some, my laid back attitude about it may question my understanding of the Scriptures or my loyalty to God. No matter what Penn said about whom, however, I don’t feel like I am proving myself anymore loyal or educated about my God by turning the tables and publicly judging him for his “offensive” comments toward my lifestyle or beliefs.

She didn’t do it in support of her God, in fact she didn’t mention Jesus at all. She didn’t do it with a genuine love for Penn or those who share his beliefs. What she emphasized about this speech was how offended she was by his “attack” on her personal morals. She stated that someday Penn needs to come to a revelation. Then she proceeded to dedicate the song “Revelation” by Third Day to Penn, adding in a sarcastic tone, “not that he listens to this station.”

You know what, at that moment, I was hoping he wasn’t listening to the station. In fact I was hoping anyone who remotely agreed with Penn wasn’t listening. If our hope as Christ Followers is to recruit more Christ Followers, we certainly will not achieve that goal by sitting back judging the very people we are trying to lead. Furthermore if we take offense to every statement made against the church or the morals and values that stem from our Christian beliefs, we will spend our time on this Earth wallowing in our own self-pity.

I’m not saying there aren’t times and places to stand up for our beliefs and to protect the name of Jesus. I am saying, however, that we need to be strategic and filled with love when we do it. As tempting as it can be to rage with a protective spirit on behalf of our Savior, it is imperative to realize that few have been saved, few have been inspired to transform their lives for Christ because they were mocked, felt sorry for or condemned.

I myself came to Christ because of the story of His love for me. And because of that same love I saw acted out on a daily basis in the friends who led me to Him. Not because someone looked at my life and judged the way I was living it, or examined every word I said and opinion I held. I knelt at the cross because of Jesus. Because of His non-condemning, judgment-free, eternally forgiving, unconditional loving promise.

If we are truly Christ Followers, desiring to live a life walking in His footsteps, then why do we throw stones at the very people who need to know our Savior’s love the most. Can we find a way to love them without the patronizing, self-promoting tones in our voices?

(Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words.)

NO TOLERANCE ALLOWED
My Freshman year in college, I was an enthusiastic new member of Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. I was also a new member of the Leadership in Training Committee on campus. Our L&T Committee was promoting a diversity campaign. Our goal was to get as many folks on campus to sign a pledge posted in the Student Union that was committed to tolerance of all people. This included race, religion, ethnicity, gender, gender preference, etc, etc, etc.

One day over lunch I was working the booth, and my IV Advisor walked by. Naively, I thought this would be right up his alley: the leader of an organization that supposedly loves all people. I asked him to sign the pledge. After about two minutes of awkward hesitation on his part, he told me he couldn’t sign it and walked away.

Later that week at our large group meeting, he pulled me aside and explained that I needed to be more aware of the groups and ideals I was representing on-campus. He informed me that he would not sign the pledge because it included the tolerance of groups that he just couldn’t support, and suggested that I consider doing the same.

A new Christian, I spent the night in tears in my dorm room questioning the God that I had recently chosen to follow. Was this really who Jesus was? I told my RA – an amazingly authentic woman of God – if my Jesus was still walking this Earth, I believe he would have signed that tolerance pledge. And if not, then maybe he is not the Jesus I want to follow. God loved on me through her friendship…and the comfort and affirmation he gave me through her words and embrace confirmed for me who my God truly was.

(Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words.)

APPARENTLY GOD VOTES
When I was in college, I made it a priority to bring an unsaved friend to church with me every Sunday morning. We would make an event out of it. Go to church and then hit up the greasy spoon in RF for breakfast and bonding that would sometimes turn into a Spiritual, life-changing discussion and sometimes not.

One Sunday during my senior year, I went to church alone as many of my friends had gone home for the weekend. Midway through the service, our Pastor somehow ended up on an unrelated topic about gay people going to Hell. I think this was in the same service that he decided it was his duty and right to tell the congregation who to vote for (it was September 2004), and proclaimed that it was our Christian duty to vote for who he proclaimed and if we did not vote for that candidate, we were going against what God wanted.

After spending most of the service feeling judged for one reason or another, I left filled with relief that no friends had agreed to attend church with me that morning. Can you imagine, not truly knowing Jesus yet…sitting in a foreign place that you have never really felt accepted or understood in…accepting a friend’s invitation to step into a church (something you haven’t done in years)…and being subjected to that kind of condemnation.

(Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words.)

LAZY-BOY LIVING
I’m tired of the game. I’m just craving some authenticity, but it’s like we are all so afraid to be real...so scared to actually be ourselves...our imperfect selves because we thinks it’s unacceptable or we’re shameful or whatever our reasons are. So we sit back in our comfortable lazy-boy with our true selves hidden with the spare change and crumbs and lint under the cushions. That’s where we really are. And we crank that lever back so we can put our feet up and watch everyone else file in through the doors of the church…and begin to take a look at what’s wrong with each person who walks in...gosh, what do we need to pray for them for today. Did you hear whom they voted for? Did you hear what they did last weekend? Did you see those pictures they posted on Facebook or what they wrote on their latest blog? Did you see that bumper sticker on their car or the music they are listening to?

Why. Why do we as Christians feel the need to brush our own shit under the rug, just so we can feel okay about pointing out everyone else's. In some cases I believe we truly want to be there for those people. But in others, I think those people are just reasons for us to feel a bit better about our own sin-stricken lives. I’d rather just have Jesus. I know who He is. I know who I am in Him. I don’t need anyone else to tell me who I need to be, what my shortfalls are or throw their lazy-boy despair and disapproval in my face. Furthermore, I’m not sure what ever led us to believe that style of loving people would actually lead them to Christ.

Not all churches or Christians have this lazy-boy mentality. But the examples I’ve cited are just three of many I have personally experienced, and unfortunately three of many more that exist for others. Thankfully, I have held desperately onto Jesus. And I have experienced the love and affirmation from Christians I greatly respect who have displayed an unconditional Jesus kind of love that I desire to give back to this world.

I may not always be setting the perfect example of the Ten Commandments, or making the most Holy of choices in my life. I may not reflect the soft, pure touch of Jesus…maybe I’m a little bit more of the other side He showed on occasion as I share my frustrations in an edgier, less “feminine” way. But my desire is not to please everyone, be voted most popular or have the whole world think I’m just this great Christian. My desire is just to love people…specifically people who aren’t feeling a whole lot of love from the rest of the world. That doesn’t mean agreeing or accepting their lifestyles or choices – just like many won’t agree with or accept mine. It simply means, I just want to love them without regard to their shortfalls, throwing as few stones as my human flesh will allow, finding the hope that is buried by their deepest hurts, embracing their souls - despite their imperfections, preaching the Gospel always and in those times when it is absolutely necessary, using words.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

A lot of good stuff here to 'chew on'. thanks for these challenging and honest words.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Dan, Heather, and Bjorn said...

This is the best blog post I've read in about a year. What a refreshing bout of honesty and transperancy.

You are spot on in regards to the lack of transparency amongst many of us who claim to be in a relationship with Christ. My experience also leads me to believe I and other Christians tend to be judgemental of other's while ignoring our own issues. Perhaps some of us (myself included) are able to ignore our own shortcomings by focusing on those of anyone that is NOT us.

I have so many questions of myself and many Christians in general. Like, why do I spend so much time trying to look like I've got all my ducks in a row? Why do I niavely boycott people and groups I know nothing about? Why do I feel the need to tell others it is a sin if they don't vote the way I think they should?

Chuck, I can't tell you how proud I am to know you right now. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this honest and beautiful post.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Dan, Heather, and Bjorn said...

ooops...thought I was reading Chuck's blog. K, I'm an idiot. I still really like what you have to say Nicole. Can't tell you how much I've missed your input at church over the past year or two. Hope life is treating you well.
Dan

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home