Friday, January 09, 2009

To know her...(Happy Birthday, Abs)

okay, i didn't realize until after i posted that last one how much i have written about abby on my blog over the years. lol. wow. she definitely inspires my thoughts to unfold...sometimes in ways she doesn't truly appreciate.

here is a fresh abigail post...

I tried to write a poem in honor of my friend’s 27th birthday. My thoughts just weren’t aligning with my words. It’s so difficult to articulate a friendship like ours, and even harder to do justice when describing a woman like Abby. Those who know her know what I mean.

She is one of the most authentic, honest, God-fearing women I’ve ever known. And I am so proud to call her my friend.

Watermark sings a song called, “More than you’ll ever know.” I heard it and loved it long before I ever met Abby Amos, but never had I had a friend who so completely exemplified the meaning of the song until I met her.

Something brought you to my mind today
I thought about the funny ways you make me laugh
And yet I feel like it's okay to cry with you
Something about just being with you
When I leave I feel like I've been near God
And that's the way it ought to be...
CHORUS:
'Cause you've been more than a friend to me
You fight off my enemies
'Cause you've spoken the Truth over my life
And you'll never know what it means to me
Just to know you've been on your knees for me
Oh, you have blessed my life
More than you'll ever know, yeah, yeah, yeah
More than you'll ever know, yeah, yeah, yeah
You had faith, when I had none
You prayed God would bring me a brand new song
When I didn't think I could find the strength to sing
And all the while I'm hoping that I'll
Do the kind of praying for you that you've done for me
And that's the way it ought to be...
You have carried me
You have taken upon a bruden that wasn't your own
And may the blessing return to you
A hundredfold, oh yeah...


So…today I am so thankful for Abigail Joy’s life. To know her has been and continues to be a blessing to me each and everyday.

To know her…

To know her is to know hope.
She has picked me up off the floor many times, piercing my heart with the gentle truth of our Father’s promise, and the ceaseless belief she has in me. She has walked discouraging paths from time to time, only to emerge with a stronger faith and a surer hope than ever before. Whether silent or loud, her voice is a constant reminder to me that there is always hope.

To know her is to know laughter.
Seeing the humor in herself and others is a daily priority for her. She has helped me find my own laughter when it has gone missing. I am so thankful for the many ab (no pun intended) work-outs I have had after sitting over a cup of coffee with her.

To know her is to know drama (in a good way).
Sometimes she’s like TNT…from starting a glass blowing business in our kitchen (a.k.a. leaving a glass casserole dish on a hot stove, and having it shatter all over her) to reenacting an episode of 30 Rock and choking on chicken while at home alone. From sobbing with joy after getting to the next level in Guitar Hero, to sleeping in the living room because she saw a “tarantula” in her bedroom. From slamming her finger in a car door, trailing blood throughout the apartment, to coining the exasperation, “My eye! My eye! Something’s in my eye!” Possibly my favorite Abs story EVER…when she popped a blood vessel on a piece of wheat pizza crust she was playing handball with in our living room…dropped to the floor in extreme anguish and couldn’t walk for an entire week.

To know her is to know fun.
I’ll never forget playing soccer in the hallway with empty tampon boxes until after midnight, laughing until our stomachs hurt, my ridiculous competitiveness kicking in until I nailed her with a box in the face. Or running around the Mall of America’s Camp Snoopy taking pictures with a squeaky rubber chicken with AJ’s face taped over it. Or just being around her. Some of my most fun times with her are just sitting and being exactly who we are in exactly this moment.

To know her is to know friendship.
1 Samuel 20:42 Jonathan said to David, "Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the LORD, saying, 'The LORD is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.” She is my forever friend…she is my person.

To know her is to know God’s love.
Her love for God and others has made me a better version of myself. I’ve never met someone more committed to being Christ’s doulos. Her obedience and vulnerability are gifts of love she gives to our Lord, and gifts of inspiration she gives to everyone around her. God has used Abby to teach me, to heal me, to love me, to inspire me and to cultivate my relationship with Him.

Happy Birthday, my Pumz!!! I am so thankful to know you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Full of JOY said...

Whoa. You are amazing. Thank you for your sweet words. I couldn't have said it better- about YOU, I mean. Thank you for this! It's the greatest gift you could ever give me. Love you.

P.S. Only you can make me laugh OUT LOUD while I'm reading this alone in my bedroom.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home