thank God for Jesus
The body of Christ.
I read about what this means in your Word, Lord. But have yet to see it really played out in life. Sometimes it feels that just getting through this life with you will have to do…and that is more than enough. Despite how much you say you want us to be a part of a body, I just can’t seem to make sense of it in my head. Because the only things that have come from bodies I have been a part of are empty promises, selfish betrayal, closed minds, hypocritical judgment and perpetual disappointment.
If it weren’t for you, Jesus, I wouldn’t have chosen this life (as a Christian). If it weren’t for you, Jesus, I wouldn’t still be holding onto this life. If it weren’t for you, Jesus, it just wouldn’t be worth it. Lucky for me, Jesus, you are worth everything.
I read about what this means in your Word, Lord. But have yet to see it really played out in life. Sometimes it feels that just getting through this life with you will have to do…and that is more than enough. Despite how much you say you want us to be a part of a body, I just can’t seem to make sense of it in my head. Because the only things that have come from bodies I have been a part of are empty promises, selfish betrayal, closed minds, hypocritical judgment and perpetual disappointment.
If it weren’t for you, Jesus, I wouldn’t have chosen this life (as a Christian). If it weren’t for you, Jesus, I wouldn’t still be holding onto this life. If it weren’t for you, Jesus, it just wouldn’t be worth it. Lucky for me, Jesus, you are worth everything.


5 Comments:
Wow! As a leader of a local expression of church I must say this post stings a little. On behalf of the church of Jesus, I am truly sorry for the disappointments you mentioned. I pray you find a body to give into & receive. Because truly Nicole, I believe you do need the church. If it was not important to our Christian lives, Jesus would not have established it. Grace & Peace!
I thought I'd start being honest on my own blog. No need to apologize on behalf of an entire church. People are human...they disappoint, that's inevitable. From where I'm sitting, though, the church has only led to more doubt for me. I hope you know, Jamie, that is not personal. You know how much I treasure your discipleship. You don't need to take responsibility for my experiences. I'm just thankful that my soul is strong enough to hold onto Jesus, instead of holding the disappointments of this world against Him.
Wow, what honesty! As I read your blog tonight, a sense of sadness came over me. I am sad for you that you feel you have not experienced the body of Christ in its fullness. The fellowship that allows the soul to rejuvenate, the prayers that lift you up when you are feeling low, the encouragement that rings in your ears, the love that overflows in your heart, and the strength of others to carry the heavy burdens. Though the body of Christ is not perfect; parts do not always work together as one or do not do their job according to the body as a whole; I am sadden that the body has not exemplified Christ to you in any way. That is what the body of Christ - the Church - is suppose to be... representing what our Jesus has done for us and why we hold our hope in Him.
I want to be clear here...I have experienced the body of Christ in its fullness through certain people and fellow believers. This was not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. It wasn't to say I haven't loved/appreciated those who have prayed for me or been a friend in Jesus. I believe I can continue to experience it in that same way without belonging to a church building. my one-on-one encounters with the body of Christ are not to be included in my overall opinions and experiences with the Church itself. These opinions also encompass my entire 26 years of church experience not just the last few.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
<< Home