Saturday, November 25, 2006

www.peopleservingpeople.org

Tuesday, my amazing boss set-up a community service opportunity for our Lynx staff. We went to People Serving People, and served lunch to some folks who are currently homeless and stay there. What a humbling experience that was. The looks on the faces who came through those doors told stories I can't even imagine experiencing myself. Each adult had an average of two children accompanying them between the ages of 3-9 years old.

The parents painted a portrait of fatigue, timidity and self-reliance. Some even hesitated when asked if they would like help carrying their tray of food across the room as they juggled three kids, five glasses of milk, and a stroller. You could see their gulp of pride as they reluctantly handed me their overflowing tray.

The children portrayed an image of thankfulness, innocence and hope...with smiles that reached each ear as you crouched down to ask their name. They have no clue that they are living in a homeless shelter. They have little understanding of how hard their mom is working everyday to learn new skills, apply for jobs, make a living...all for the betterment of their children's lives.

I cannot wait to go back. Yes, it was difficult to see the tired eyes of those adults with no assurance of their tomorrow, but the hope and potential in their futures far outweighs the trite and disappointment of their pasts...I know it. Going once says, "alright, I've done my good deed for the week...I can celebrate Thanksgiving with a clear conscience." But going back...again and again FOR those people...to have the chance to share Jesus with them...the Ultimate Hope...the only True Assurance of tomorrow. THAT would be a difference. I cannot wait to go back. Would you like to join me?

www.peopleservingpeople.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home