Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Where the green grass grows...

So, I received an invitation from some friends to spend the weekend in the Lord's great outdoors. Some of my more adventurous friends are canoing out to a little island on Saturday morning, pitching a tent, and spending the night under the stars.

Now when I originally read the invitation, I thought...how fun! I haven't spent so much as an afternoon outside in the sun this summer. It sounded like a great opportunity to do something summery.

Last night, as I was expressing my excitement for this mini-trip, a friend asked me...so is there a bathroom on this island. Huh...I hadn't thought about that. I guess I had assumed that at the very least there'd be a BIFF located on this island.

I sent a little Facebook message this morning to our Canoe Captain, and he promptly replied saying, "Sorry, Nicole; there are no bathrooms on the island; all business will have to be taken care of in the woods."

Umm...okay. Sorry. This no longer sounds like the enjoyable adventure that was described in the invitation. Squattig in the bushes does not sound enjoyable to me. Tell me why it's necessary to sacrifice something that's come in so handy for so many years? I Facebooked the Captain back and said, "Aite, I think I'm out then. Thanks for the invite and have fun!"

My disappointed friend im'ed me tonight and asked me what the big deal was. I told her it comes down to preferring a ceramic pot, charmin, and sink w/ bath and body works handsoap when I need to go, over a patch of grass, a leaf and a bottle of gooey hand sanitizer.

She said it'd be good for me to spend the weekend without luxuries, seeing as though I spend 80% of my time in the city. My response? I don't, nor will I ever, consider a bathroom a luxury. It is something that God made necessary when He decided that the things we put into our body should eventually come out.

So my deep elementary school librarian...who thrives in the element of adventure begins to throw these quotes at me; here's my fav...

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."- Henry David Thoreau

My response...

"The toilet was created deliberately because it was essential for humans to have a place to get rid of their waste in the most comfortable and least gross way. It was called the toilet. And most who were smart, knew that they would never go back to squatting in grass and wiping their butts on bark again."

So, tell me...does this make me un-adventurous? boring? too much of a city girl? OR smart? clean? modern?

I'm not quite sure. All I know is that although I no longer have weekend plans, I am assured wherever I end up in my city...there will be a toilet, tp and handsoap very close by.





7 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

I really enjoy camping, but my requirement is that there be a biffy nearby, as I too do not want to use the great outdoors as my personal potty! We invented toilets for a reason don't ya know?!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

hmmmm ... apparently my rebuttal has not changed your mind...

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

my rebuttal can be found at http://spark-stargirl.blogspot.com/

1:14 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

oh by the way, love you like Thoreau loves the outdoors...

1:15 PM  
Blogger Full of JOY said...

i'm sorry- but even using the portable HOLE isn't appealing to me in the least. i can't think of a worse way to spend my day off. and by the way- you DO have weekend plans- which happen to include a FREEZY AND a porcelin pot.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Another reason I'm glad for being a man...I don't have to squat every time it is potty time!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

ahhh, the great outdoors. I'm in full agreement with jamie... Add all this to my always growing list of reasons why its amazing to be a man!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home